Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Compiling OpenLogos under Fedora Core 11

I've definitely gone down the rabbit hole with OpenLogos. It is truly a thing of utter archaic beauty. It's forty years old this year! Which, in terms of software, makes it one of the oldest existing codebases on the planet - certainly the oldest open-source codebase in existence.

I'm trying to get it running on my Fedora Core 11 box, very much in spare time. I'll continue to update this post as I get things running. There will be later posts on how to run the thing once it's built. Assuming I can; this is a 64-bit machine.

1. Dependencies: Java and unixODBC

Although most of the code is written in C++, there appear to be some Java components. I've had nothing like time even to make a cursory survey of the codebase yet, so I don't know what's using Java and what isn't, but Java is definitely a prerequisite for the build. Since Fedora ships with OpenJava, not Sun's Java, the first thing to do is to get the java-devel package installed (my runtime is 1.6.0, the latest as of this writing, so I obtained the matching devel):

yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel

Once that's done, you'll specify the installation directory in your configure command to build the make environment for OpenLogos, like this:

./configure --with-java=/usr/lib/jvm/java-openjdk/

Don't run that yet, though, because the other compilation prerequisite is unixODBC. I tried installing it with yum, but it didn't work for me, so I fell back on the ancient technique of downloading and compiling it yourself. I'm going to assume you can manage that (otherwise, trust me here, you're going to have a hell of a time with OpenLogos) - the download is where you expect it, so get that, unpack it, do the configure-make-make install thing, and you're good to go.

2. gcc 4.3 header cleanup

Now you can run your configure. At this point, this worked fine for me. However, you're not quite done yet. Assuming you're using the DFKI distro 1.03, like I am, and gcc 4.4.1, you'll find that as of 4.3, the gcc headers have been cleaned up, and so there are dependencies missing. What compiled last time DFKI built (obviously gcc 4.2 or earlier) needs patching now. That is the status as I write this post; I'll update as I go, and provide a patch file at some point.

Update 8/23/2010:
The errors here take the form of:

error: 'xxxx' was not declared in this scope

And apply to the following functions:

strchr was assumed to be in string.h, but is now in cstring.h (affects lgsstring.h).
atoi was assumed to be in string.h, but is now in cstdlib.h (affects lgsstring.h).

That might be it, actually.

The other sloppy programming (not casting aspersions! I'm guilty of plenty of sloppiness, which is why I just gave up and decided to use Perl from now on in the first place) exposed by the move to gcc 4.3 is a duplicated parameter name in the declaration of rightTrim (two parameters 's', oops!) I renamed the const char * s to 't' to match the cpp file, but man, that looks like something I would have done. Weird that earlier compiler versions didn't flag that.

3. 32-bit architectural assumptions

Those fixes complete (and it's still 8/23/2010), the next problem is:

error: cast from 'const char*' to 'int' loses precision

Whoops. Did I mention I'm compiling on a 64-bit architecture? Yeah. So int is a 32-bit value, and addresses are 64 bits now. The answer is to replace with intptr_t, a guaranteed right-sized integer value defined in stdint.h and mandated in the C99 standard, so really there was no excuse to be casting pointers to vanilla int in 2006 (not that I would have done differently, but I'm old and distracted and prefer Perl anyway, allowing the interpreter contributors to worry about this stuff). Anyway, this little gem affects the parser, which uses addresses throughout as integer hash lookups. That's gotta go, but that's probably going to take some more thorough investigation and I've got deadlines for tomorrow morning, so that's it for August 23.

I wish more of the individual modules had unit tests. I'm going to shoot myself in the foot fast with this stuff sooner or later. Perhaps I should write some (if I only knew what to test, that would probably work out great - and I have to admit, it would be a great way to start understanding internals).

Anyway, the int usage appears to be just in private members of the CParser class, but I worry that they're going to end up getting used to talk to PostgreSQL, and then where will I be? I should probably worry about that if and when it comes up.

Update 9/3/2010:
I've been too busy to keep up with the 64-bit conversion, so I'm repurposing an older box I have as a 32-bit Ubuntu box (by which I mean, I pulled it out of the storage room, where it was gathering dust for just such an occasion), just so I can get a fresh compile and see this thing run once in my life. I may or may not get back to compiling under FC11 on the 64-bit machine.

1 comment:

  1. I manage to compile under 64bit ubuntu 10.04 as 32bit using the following

    sudo apt-get install g++-multilib
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386
    sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib

    ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --libdir=/usr/lib32 --with-java=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun "CFLAGS=-m32 -L/usr/lib32" "CPPFLAGS=-m32 -L/usr/lib32" "CXXFLAGS=-m32 -L/usr/lib32" "LDFLAGS=-m32 -L/usr/lib32"


    Panagiotis
    http://www.linuxer.gr

    ReplyDelete